- 1. Find out if you are eligible to study in Canada
- What is a study permit?
- How long can you stay in Canada with a Canada study permit?
- Can you go back home while studying?
- People who don’t need a permit to study in Canada
- Short-term studies (six months or less)
- Family or staff of foreign representatives
- Members of foreign armed forces
- Registered Indians in Canada
- Minor children in Canada
- Why get a Canada study permit if you are exempt?
- Keep studying while you renew your permit
- Work part-time on-campus
- 2. Apply for a Canada study permit
- 3. After you apply: Canada study permit
- 3.1 You will need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)
- 3.2 Canadian representatives process your study permit application
- 4. Get a Canada study permit — Prepare to arrive
1. Find out if you are eligible to study in Canada
Most foreign nationals desire a study permit to study in Canada. You have to use it when you drive and be certain that you have all the files Canadian representatives want before you employ.
What is a study permit?
The study permit is a document they issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.
While studying in Canada using an analysis license you must:
- continually be enrolled in a DLI
- produce progress towards completing your very own program
- respect any conditions listed on your very own study permit
- stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
- leave Canada if your permit expires
Depending on the case, there might end up being circumstances on your study permit such as for example:
- the level of studies you can attend
- in case you are allowed to are employed in Canada
- if you can’t take a trip within Canada
- the day you need to cease studying
Note: Your study license is certainly not a visa. It alone does not make it easier to key in Canada. Chances are you’ll also need a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).
How long can you stay in Canada with a Canada study permit?
A Canada study permit is usually valid for the size of your study program, plus an extra 90 instances. This extra time lets you cook to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.
- If you can’t finish your training courses before the time on your license, you need to affect extend your stay as a student.
- If we conclude your scientific studies ahead of time, your own license will quit becoming valid 90 days after you complete your own studies (regardless of what time is printed on the analysis permit). You’ve got finished your studies either
- regarding the big date, obtain the first notification from your college (such as an email, document, transcript, etc.) or
- when you get your degree, degree, or certificate.
You should authenticate to grant evidence of the date you got one of these simples.
Can you go back home while studying?
If you intend to depart Canada during a scheduled break (such as the summer, or winter holidays and early spring crack), you may need to show proof you are enrolled in your university whenever you revisit Canada. If you came here on:
- a visa, you should also generate certain it’s still appropriate.
- an electronic travel authorization (eTA), and you leave and return to Canada by air, it is important to make sure it is actually still good.
Your study permit is not a visa.
People who don’t need a permit to study in Canada
Most overseas nationals need a Canadian study permit to study in. The cases below are exceptions.
Short-term studies (six months or less)
You can learn any kind of time school in Canada without having a study license if:
- your course or program is for half a year or significantly less
- your studies aren’t part of the longer program and
- you can expect to complete all of your current studies within the time representatives approved you in which to stay Canada (usually 6 months once you enter).
Note from EduBlogger:
you need a Canada study permit if you:
- happen to be likely to study for a longer time than six months or
- won’t be able to complete your program without having to extend your very own visit to Canada.
Family or staff of foreign representatives
You might not want a study permit if you’re a relative or team member of the international representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). Your embassy can contact GAC to find out any time you want one.
Members of foreign armed forces
If you should be a person in a different armed force in Canada on official duties, you don’t desire a study permit. If your family users (including minor children), want to learn in Canada, they could need one.
Registered Indians in Canada
We don’t need a research permit if you are a citizen of another country that has Registered British status in Canada.
Minor children in Canada
Minor children don’t need a Canada research permit should they:
- have been in kindergarten
- are refugees or refugee claimants
- have parents who happen to be refugees or refugee claimants or
- want to go to pre-school, primary or secondary school, and are already in Canada with a father or mother that is allowed to work or analyze in Canada.
Note: If minor young children learning in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 according to the province or territory), they have to request a permit if they demand to keep studying. Learn more about minors studying in Canada.
Why get a Canada study permit if you are exempt?
You might want to make an application for a study permit even if you don’t need one. To qualify to apply for a study permit, your very own course or program ought to be from the DLI. If you opt to apply for a research permit even though you are exempt, you should include a document of description that says the reasons why you prefer one.
Reasons to obtain a study license include being able to:
Keep studying while you renew your permit
- When you get a reported license before you arrived in Canada: you can renew your permit and maintain studying in Canada while looking forward to the new license because you have implied status.
- If you don’t come with a study permit: you can apply for a learning permit from inside Canada, you can’t start your system until you get the license.
This guideline also applies to prerequisite courses, when you get recognized to a program under the problem which you get and pass particular courses (conditional acceptance).
Work part-time on-campus
You can work part-time on-campus if you are registered as a full-time student at a college or university.
2. Apply for a Canada study permit
You need to give your biometrics
You now want to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply for a research permit if you should be from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
Before you apply
Before you apply for a study permit, you need the following:
- an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)
- a valid passport or travel document
You also must do the following:
- show proof you can pay for to cover your:
- tuition fees
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
- return transportation for yourself and any nearest and dearest who are available with you to Canada
- be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and certainly not feel a risk to the protection of Canada. You might have to provide a police certification.
- be in great health. You may possibly require to complete a health check.
- convince an immigration policeman you will leave Canada by the end of your studies.
Note: whether your school asked you to have some training courses before they will accept one into the main course (conditional acceptance), Canadian representatives simply matter your research permit for the length of these courses. Once you get accepted into the primary program, one can employ you to increase your own visit as a college student from within Canada.
How to apply
Generally, you must make an application for a study permit before you arrived in Canada.
. Some individuals can use for a study permit from within Canada. In some instances, you can easily apply when we arrive in Canada at the harbor of access. Be sure you understand which option is available to you.
2.1 Applying within Canada
- You can only apply online for a study permit within Canada if you’re:
- a small child in primary or secondary school
- an exchange or visiting student
- a student that has completed a short-term course or research program, that is a problem for becoming recognized at a DLI
- someone who holds a short-term resident permit (TRP) valid for at least 6 months, or their member of the family
- a spouse or common-law partner (and their family members) being sponsored to immigrate, who are:
- in Canada, and
- have applied for permanent residence, if eligible
- a person with a learning license coming from a visa office overseas and also the license was issued before you surely got to Canada, who would like to always keep mastering
- the family member of:
- athletes on a Canadian-based team
- media reps
- members of the clergy, or
- military personnel assigned to Canada
- a family member or private staff member of a foreign representative who is properly accredited (90 days before or after you are no longer authorized to study without a study permit), or
- a foreign national or their family member with a valid study or work permit, who wants to stay in Canada longer to study
2.2 Applying outside Canada
If you need an eTA or visa, Canadian representatives will issue it automatically at the same time as your study permit. You don’t need to apply separately or pay another fee.
2.3 Applying at the port of entry
You may employ for a study license when you enter Canada any time you are any of the immediate following:
- a citizen of the U.S.
- a permanent resident of the U.S.
- a person who has lawfully been admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence
- a citizen of Greenland
- a local of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
3. After you apply: Canada study permit
3.1 You will need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)
Once you submit your application, Canadian representatives will be sending you a letter if you need to provide your very own biometrics. Most Canada study permit applicants need certainly to. The page will say to you how and the best place to go. You have up to thirty days to supply your own biometrics (in person).
If you applied online
- The letter is sent to your membership message box within a day of implementation. You’ll get an email to let you know you received a brand new message.
If you applied by mail
- The letter is distributed to you by mail about two weeks after Canadian agents get the application. The timing of the letter depends on various factors including the velocity of your mail.
3.2 Canadian representatives process your study permit application
They will certainly check your application to make certain you have got all the vital papers. If it’s complete and you need to offer biometrics, representatives will deliver a letter that tells one so.
In the event it’s unfinished, they will return your application without handling it.
they may also ask one to:
- go to an interview with officials in your country, or
- to send more information.
Updating your application
If you relocate or alter your street address, telephone number or any other contact information after you use it, you must tell them.
If Canadian representatives approve your application
They will send you:
- a letter of introduction to confirm. This letter isn’t your study permit. You need to show it to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada.
- an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada:
- if you are from a country where you need an eTA, the letter of introduction will include information about your eTA. Also, the eTA will be:
- linked to the passport. You must go with the passport you used when you obtained your study permit.
- Valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
- if you are from a country where you need a visitor visa, the visa will:
- be in your passport. You must enter Canada before it runs out.
- show if you possibly could enter Canada only one time (a single-entry visa) or if you can enter Canada several times (a multiple-entry credit).
- if you are from a country where you need an eTA, the letter of introduction will include information about your eTA. Also, the eTA will be:
If Canadian representatives refuse your application
They will provide a letter discussing why. Reasons they may refuse it include should you didn’t:
- show proof that we have actually enough money to support yourself while studying in Canada
- pass the medical examination if one necessary one
- convinces the visa officer that the main goal in Canada is to study
- convince the visa officer which you will leave Canada at the finish of your study period.
If you have got concerns about precisely why you had been refused, call the visa workplace that sent the refusal letter.
Waiting for a decision
Your study permit
can end as you are waiting for a decision for an extension. Contained in this case, you have a temporary resident (student) status.
This is acknowledged suggested status, plus it lasts until you get a choice on the program (so long as you don’t leave Canada). You can preserve studying under implied status.
Traveling outside Canada while waiting for a decision
You can depart to Canada and come back. Your Canada study permit isn’t a visa. You will need an appropriate visa or eTA to return unless you are on your way straight back from a trip where you saw the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon only.
When you come back:
- You can come straight back because the student if your license continues to be valid.
- You may be authorized to come back to be a guest if they’re nonetheless processing your very own study license extension.
- you can’t study until Canadian representatives go your study permit. The officer at the border may request you to demonstrate we have adequate money to compliment on your own in Canada.
- we are permitted to arrive back being a pupil if representatives extended your study permit when you were out.
- you’ll be expected to utilize a new research license if you find yourself a national or a permanent resident regarding the U.S. or a citizen of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
- It is possible you will not be in a position to enter Canada.
The officer may ask us for the content of the program, the fee cost bill, and other files to prove you applied for the extension.
4. Get a Canada study permit — Prepare to arrive
When you arrive in Canada, a Government of Canada officer will meet you and:
- ask to see your passport or travel documents,
- inquire you a few questions, and
- make sure you meet the requirements to enter Canada.
You’ll also have to show the officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your own stay.
Primary Inspection Kiosks
Consult with your school or education facility to see if you will need to prove your entryway into Canada. If you would like proof of entry, you have to get the ticket sealed by a border services officer before leaving the airport. Canada’s airports with Primary Inspection Kiosks have a unique process in position to stamp passports.
Presenting your documents
You will need to show:
- a valid passport or travel document
- the letter of introduction the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit (this letter has your permit reference number which Canadian representatives use to issue your study permit)
- a copy of the acceptance letter your school sent you
- proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
- letters of reference or any other documents the visa office where you applied told you to bring and either a valid:
- eTA. If you have an approved eTA, it will be linked to the passport that you used to apply for your study permit or
- temporary resident visa.
Children under 18
need to have valid identification with them. The documents a small child needs to present based on perhaps the child happens to be journeying alone or with someone.
Carry these goods and all of the other useful papers, cash, and traveler’s cheques with us after all occasions. Don’t place them in your examined luggage.
You might not be allowed into Canada if any of your own documents are actually missing or if some of the informative data on your own application or emails of the guide are incorrect.
The officer will stamp the ticket or show you just how long you can stay in Canada. The time period is usually for 6 months. In a few situations, the officer may limit or extend this period to address your study period. Ask questions if we aren’t certain about such a thing.
If there aren’t problems at the point of entry, the policeman allows you to enter Canada and certainly will issue your learners permit. You ought to check the:
- study permit to make certain your individual info is appropriate and
- expiry day on your own study permit. We must leave Canada at this time.
Disclosure of funds
If you arrive in Canada with significantly more than CAN$10,000, one must tell this to the authorities policeman. Any time you don’t, one could possibly be fined, and your finances might be seized. This includes:
- securities that are part of you (for example, investments, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
- bankers’ drafts, cheques, traveler’s cheques, or money instructions.
Understanding the terms and conditions of your study permit
As an international student with a Canada analysis permit you should:
- always be enrolled at a DLI
- make progress towards completing your program
- respect any conditions listed on your study permit
- stop studying any time you no longer meet the specifications, and
- leave Canada when your permit expires
Based on your application, your study license could be one or even more of the following circumstances:
- the level of studies you can go to
- in case you are permitted to are employed in Canada
- if you’d like to report for medical procedures
- if you can’t journey within Canada, and
- the date you have to stop studying.
It is a criminal activity not to conform to the conditions of your learning license.
If we break any of the problems, you will lose your temporary living status and any permits you have got.
Study your Canada learn license thoroughly. It sets out most of the conditions for studying in Canada. Any time you don’t meet those situations or those of your eTA or visa, Canadian representatives will request you to leave Canada.
Many people requested to go away to Canada having the right to a fair hearing to examine the decision.
Leaving and coming back to Canada
Any time you leave Canada and wish to come back, you need a valid:
- passport or travel document
- study permit if you are returning to study in Canada and either a valid
- eTA, if you are from a country where you need an eTA
- visitor visa, if you are from a country where you need a visa (unless you travel solely to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon and return to Canada while your study permit is still valid).
Your Canada study permit is not a visa.
The Government of Canada will definitely not pay for the medical costs of foreign students. Health coverage for foreign pupils is different depending on your geographical area. Contact the institution one applied to for facts about health insurance.